Study in Malaysia
- Malaysia is one of the best emerging countries in providing higher education to international students. More than 100,000 international students are pursuing their higher education in Malaysia from around 100 countries. Malaysia was ranked 9th in UNESCO’s rating for top countries for international students. This gave a boost to the students all over the world to go for higher education in this country.
- One of the most common and important reasons for students to opt for Malaysia for their higher studies is the affordable tuition costs with a top- quality education. The option of getting a degree from an international university like Nottingham University at the same tuition costs as Malaysia is a great advantage for students.
- Living costs are also much affordable in Malaysia compared to other study- abroad destinations. This helps international students to spend time, travel, explore places, and enjoy an independent life. Renting an apartment or a sharing flat is highly affordable in Malaysia compared to another study abroad country. There are a lot of convenient traveling options for students, especially in big cities of Malaysia with cost-efficient facilities.
- The qualifications obtained in Malaysia are recognized globally. The National Quality Assurance Agency plays a pivotal role in building a standard higher education system in Malaysia. Along with this, there are several courses with specializations that are offered by Malaysian universities. Malaysian universities work closely with industries and partner universities from other countries to provide up-to-date and market-relevant programs.
- The most common language spoken is no doubt Malaysian, but the majority of people understand and speak English very well. So, as an international student, you don’t have to learn Malay unless you want to learn some new language. Also, English is the primary language of instruction in most of the institutions in Malaysia. So, in a span of 2-3 semesters, you will improve your English language skills.
- You will come across a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered in Malaysian universities. Along with this, you also have an option of ‘Twinning programs’. Through twinning programs, you can study your 1st and 2nd year at a Malaysian university and complete your final year at partner universities in abroad countries like the US, UK, New Zealand, and Australia. Also, students from Asian countries may feel at home in Malaysia as there are many ethnic groups of Malays, Chinese, and Indians who celebrate their traditional festivals.
- Malaysia is near a lot of famous countries like Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand that are just 3 hours away by flight. So, during long vacations, students can also explore nearby tourist countries and get a different experience. Malaysia has a simple immigration process that helps international students for a stress-free journey. Colleges and universities provide necessary guidance to international students during their immigration process.
- Malaysia can offer you a wide variety of cuisines and is often referred to as Food Paradise. There is a fine blend of Indian, Chinese, and Malay food in Malaysian cuisine along with a mixed style of Peranakan and Eurasian cooking. Due to the increase in international citizens from around the world, restaurants have started serving western, continental, and Middle Eastern food.
- Malaysia is politically stable and a peaceful nation with a government that focuses on international recognition and building strong higher education with top-class quality. Malaysia is the 29th safest country according to the Global Peace Index (2017). It is also geographically placed in the safe zone from different natural disasters that make it a calm and pleasant country to live.
MALAYSIA AS A STUDY ABROAD DESTINATION
- Malaysia is known for its modern lifestyle, acceptance of diverse cultures, and colorful environment. Along with these, there are many reasons for international citizens to live and study in Malaysia. As rated by UNESCO, Malaysia is the 11th most preferred study abroad destination. It is also recognized as the global education hub. The Malaysian higher education ministry has also planned to increase the intake of international students per year.
- The multiculturalism in Malaysia means that students are exposed to diverse cultures and multiple languages. This gives them a unique experience and adds this to their personal and professional skills. Apart from the cultural and traditional differences students will experience delicious food and explore places that will give them the regional flavor.
- Another advantage of studying in Malaysian universities is that English is a primary language for instructions. The programs that are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency Act 2007 are highly preferred by the government for employment purposes in the public sector due to the quality assurance by the MQA act.
- Kuala Lumpur ranked 1st in the QS rankings for the most affordable cities for students for the year 2016. Malaysia is no doubt one of the best countries with cheap tuition and living costs compared to other study abroad destinations. Malaysia also ranks among the top places for quality living by providing top-class safety, health, and education in Asia-pacific.
- The private colleges and universities in Malaysia can also act as a route towards other international universities. This can happen through American Degree Programs and Credit transfer programs. There are many sectors where international students can work along with their studies. All you need to have is a student pass that will allow you to work part-time for 20 hours per week.
- Entering into Malaysia for international students is hassle-free and involves a simple process. Malaysian airport is the 9th best airport in the world. With this, students will find it convenient to travel to nearby countries like Thailand, Singapore, China, and Malaysia, etc. Low-cost Airlines like AirAsia, Cebu Pacific, Tiger Airways, and Scoot makes it an affordable journey for students.
- The cities in Malaysia like Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Malaysia Borneo, and Johor Bahru are considered on top for providing top-class education with a vibrant atmosphere, cosmopolitan lifestyle, and all-round international experience.
- Malaysia has a specialty in treating their international students. Their international student support services involve accommodation arrangements, social and recreational activities, and guiding students right from the airport by assisting through a representative.
- Malaysia has a unique international essence with political stability and low crime rates. Due to this, there has been a tremendous increase in international students opting for Malaysia as their higher education destination.
- Due to a strong governmental approach towards development in the education sector, the rapid improvement in the education system has put millions into the research and development department and opened great opportunities in work and studies for international students.
- More than 150,000 international students were studying in Malaysia in the year 2015. Also, this is focused to increase up to 200,000 by the Malaysian Higher Education Ministry.
If you wish to study abroad, please connect with Whizstorm for the best international career plans.
Malaysia Education System
- The school year in Malaysia is from January to November. The academic year for higher education is divided into semesters according to subjects. Sometimes the universities extend the 3rd semester by 8-10 weeks for students to complete their program within a shorter period. The Malaysian government provides free education at the primary level for six years and five years at the secondary level. Secondary education consists of 3 years of lower secondary education and two years of upper secondary education that makes it a total of eleven years of free education.
Pre-school to secondary education or pre-tertiary education is administered
by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and tertiary or higher education is
administered by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE).
The higher education phase includes the following departments:
The department of higher education
- Public Higher Education Management Sector
- Private Higher Education Management Sector
- The Department of Polytechnics Education
- The Department of Community College Education
- The Higher Education Management Sector
- The Higher Education Development Sector
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency
- National Professor Council
- National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN)
- Higher Education Leadership Academy
- The department of higher education
Levels of education in Malaysia: -
- Preschool and kindergarten education (children from 4 to 6 years)
- Primary education (6 to 11+ years, standard 1 to 6 for six years)
Secondary education (12 to 16+ years, from 1 to 5 for five years):
- Lower secondary from age 12 to 14+
- Upper secondary from age 15 – 16 +
In this, students have options to choose three types of schools:
- Academic (Arts or Science Stream)
- Technical and Vocational
- Post-secondary education/pre-university from age 17+(1 to 2 years):- After completing secondary education, students can go for post-secondary education that is a preparatory course to pursue the university level of higher education.
After this, students have options to study: -
- Form 6, STPM for one and half years or;
- Matriculation for one year or;
- STAM for one year
- Certificate and Diploma education from age 17+ onwards
- Bachelor’s degree from age 18+ for 3 to 5 years
- Masters or Ph.D. degree studies after getting a bachelor's degree for 1 to 5 years
Medium of instruction
- Primary level public schools have Bahasa Malaysia (the National Language) or either Chinese or Tamil with both Bahasa Malaysia and English taught as compulsory subjects.
- Secondary level public schools have Bahasa Malaysia as their primary language of instruction while English is taught as a second language in all schools.
- For higher education level, English is used as a primary language of instruction in most of the institutes in Malaysia. However, many bachelor degree courses at public universities are taught in Bahasa Malaysia (the National Language)
- Private colleges
- Community colleges
- University colleges
- Government-Funded public universities, polytechnics, community colleges, and public colleges
- Private higher education institutes (non-funded by the government) which includes Private universities, University colleges, Foreign University Branch Campuses, Private colleges.
- The degree classification equivalent to US grade is suggested below by WES (World Education Services): -
Degree Classification US grade equivalence First Class Honors A Second Class Honors, Upper Division A-/B+ Second Class Honors, Lower Division B Third Class Honors or Pass* B-/B+
If you wish to study abroad, please connect with Whizstorm for the best international career plans.
COST OF EDUCATION IN MALAYSIA
- Similar to other study abroad destinations, tuition costs vary with institutions and universities. However, tuition and living costs are cheaper compared to other countries like the US, UK, Australia, and Canada, etc.
Academic fees in Malaysian universities include:
- Registration fees
- Tuition fee
- Computer/Science Laboratory fee
- Examination fee
- Library fee
- Other than the above academic fees, non-academic fees like health insurance, medical and visa fees are also to be considered while planning your finances to study in Malaysia.
Pre University fees: -
For students who have completed IGCSE or O- level and are now looking for pre-university study options to go for bachelor’s or professional courses, Malaysia offers a wide range of pre-university programs. Tuition costs for a pre-university course like: -
- Cambridge GCE A- levels, UK – $4700 to $9500 (15-18 months, 3 subjects)
- AUSMAT, Australia - $5200 to $7000 (10 months, 5-6 subjects)
- Monash University Foundation Year - $7500 (12 months, 4-5 subjects)
- New South Wales High School Certificate - $3800 (12 months,5 subjects)
- CIMP, Canada - $9500 (12 months, 6 subjects)
Tuition costs for bachelor degree in Malaysian private universities
- Bachelor degree in Engineering (4 years) – the average cost of $17,000
- Bachelor degree in IT (3 years) – the average cost of $13,500
- Bachelor degree in Business (3 years) – the average cost of $11,000
Tuition costs for Master degree courses
- For a Master in Business administration, tuition cost at private universities is in the range of $5000 to $10,000 for 1 to 1.5 years duration.
- For a Master in Business administration, tuition cost at private universities is in the range of $5500 to $6500 for 1 to 1.5 years duration.
- Medicine courses in a private university can cost around $63,000 to $108,000 for complete courses. Whereas, Hospitality and Management courses in a private university can cost $12000 - $14,500 for complete courses.
Tuition costs at Foreign Branch campus: -
- Engineering courses can cost around $22,000 - $42,000
- IT courses can cost around $13,000 - $25,000
- Business courses can cost around $13,500 - $24,000
- Medicine courses can be costly and cost around $100,000 - $115,000
Average tuition costs of different levels in Malaysia:-
- Diploma degree – $2000 to $6000
- Bachelor’s degree - $2500 to $10,000
- Master’s Degree - $3000 to $5000
- The tuition costs for Twinning Programs vary with universities and course type. You can check the official websites of universities offering Twinning Program like Taylor’s University and Sunway University and check the costs for your program. This cost is much lower than the fees required in the host countries like the UK and Australia.
- As we discussed, one of the main reasons for international students to choose Malaysia as their study abroad destination is reasonable tuition and living costs. The accommodation costs for either on-campus or off-campus are very affordable compared to other study abroad destinations. An average budget for living comfortably in cities of Malaysia can go around $500 - $600 per month for international students.
SCHOLARSHIPS TO STUDY IN MALAYSIA
- For international students, it is a relief to know that their higher education is secured as far as finances are concerned. The most popular and guaranteed way of lowering your expenses for abroad studies is applying for scholarships.
- The following are is the list of scholarships available in Malaysia for domestic as well as international students: -
- Monash University Malaysia Scholarships for Undergraduate studies: - Monash University accepts applications from qualified candidates to study all undergraduate courses except Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Psychological Science, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), and Bachelor of Pharmacy. The selected candidates will get a benefit of RM5000 per semester while maintaining the required academic record.
- Heriot-Watt University Bachelor and Master Scholarships:- This scholarship is offered to both bachelor and master's degree pursuing students. The fields of study include Accounting, Engineering, Psychology, Quantity surveying, and construction project management. The scholarship award is offered through 50% and 100% fee waivers.
- International Scholarships Asia Pacific University of Technology:- This is partially funded by scholarship, intended towards the international enthusiast. The students applying for this scholarship must have joined the APU program. The scholarship is limited to course fees only and all the other expenses like registration, living, travel, project, etc should be carried out by the scholarship holder.
- University of Malaya AUN-DPPnet Postgraduate scholarships in Malaysia: - This scholarship is awarded to the applicants whose study subject is in the field of Public Policy. The scholarship award includes several benefits like tuition fees, monthly stipend, flight ticket, one-time placement allowance, and many other one time allowances. The scholarship is intended for ASEAN nationals that are Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, and Myanmar.
- Jeffrey Cheah Foundation Scholarships: - This scholarship is available for undergraduate degree courses except for Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), and Bachelor of Pharmacy. This scholarship covers a 100% tuition fee along with a stipend amount and accommodation or only a 50% tuition fee waiver. Only permanent residents of Malaysia can avail of this scholarship.
- Postgraduate Scholarships for International Students- University of Technology in Malaysia: - These scholarships are available for both local and international students pursuing MPhil and Ph.D. degree courses at MJIIT. Scholarships are awarded to the subjects offered at the university. The grant covers tuition fee waiver and monthly allowance.
- MAHSA Engineering Scholarships for overseas students in Malaysia: - This partial scholarship is offered to all engineering courses for students from Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Yemen, and Somalia. Scholarships would be in the form of discounts on tuition fees annually. English language course is compulsory for applying for this scholarship.
- International Graduate Student Scholarship at Universiti Putra Malaysia: - These scholarships are available for students pursuing a graduate program. The scholarship is awarded to research priority areas relevant to UPM/Malaysia. The scholarship covers 50% of the tuition fees for six semesters.
- International Medical University Scholarships for foreign Students in Malaysia: - These scholarships are available for pre-university and undergraduate degree programs. These scholarships are generally for medical-related courses and the benefits are in the form of a tuition fee waiver. The scholarship is awarded to local as well as international students based on their SPM or O – level results.
- Full Tuition fee scholarships at the University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus: - This postgraduate scholarship is awarded to promising students who can make a difference in the development and prosperity of their home country. The scholarship consists of 10 awards that cover 100% of tuition costs to study courses like MSc Chemical Engineering, MSc Civil Engineering, MA International Relations, MSc Computer Science, MA Education Leadership and Management, etc.
- If you wish to study abroad, please connect with Whizstorm for the best international career plans.
Application Requirements to Study in Malaysia
( Bachelor's )
( Master's )
|TOEFL / IELTS / PTE|
|GRE / GMAT|
|Work Experience Documents||*Variable|
*Variable- This requirement varies according to the program and university
How to Apply Through Whizstorm
SIGN UP and Search
If you wish to study in Malaysia, then you are at the right place. SIGN UP to our Web-based Portal that provides information of thousands of programs in Hungary from which you can find the right programs that suit your goals, interests and requirement. Know more about how to Search-Shortlist-Apply through Whizstorm
Buy our PLAN that streamlines your Study In Malaysia process
Whizstorm offers various PLANS for dedicated assistance wherein our process experts assist you in every phase of your process starting with profile assessment, course selection, documentation, application, admission, financial planning and VISA. Know How Whizstorm helps with PLANS to STUDY IN Malaysia
All these PLANS on WhizStorm are offered and serviced on our web-based portal, you can access your Advanced Student Dashboard which helps you to manage and track your process with complete assistance from your dedicated advisor.
Successfully Complete the Process and FLY to Study in Malaysia
Thus you can take our PLANS from anywhere in the world so that we help you successfully complete your STUDY IN Malaysia Process and Fly to achieve your dream of education abroad.
Explore our PLANS to STUDY in Malaysia
- Get dedicated assistance at every step of profile assessment, university selection, documentation, application, admission and VISA to start your Malaysia Education process
- Our Online software platform with access to the advanced dashboard enables you to track and manage your study abroad process simply and in time.
- Reasonably priced plans to help you at all the steps you need so that you can sucessfully start with your STUDY IN Malaysia